Switch your patients’ daily toothpaste and protect their future oral health

Colgate explains why its toothpaste, Colgate Total, can help protect the future of your patients’ oral health.

Clinical evidence suggests a small behaviour modification, like introducing an antibacterial toothpaste into a daily oral care routine, can improve patients’ effectiveness in preventing common oral diseases, beyond what can be achieved when toothbrushing with a regular fluoride toothpaste alone (Riley and Lamont, 2013).

Additionally, it is useful to remember that teeth or hard surfaces make up only 20% of oral surfaces, and biofilm bacteria also develop on soft tissue surfaces, which accounts for the other 80% of the mouth.

Colgate Total toothpaste, with its unique antibacterial action, helps control regrowth of dental plaque.

Colgate Total adheres to 100% of hard and soft tissues, providing up to 12-hours antibacterial protection, even after eating and drinking.

It also significantly reduces the bacterial load on 100% of mouth surfaces.

This means less dental plaque is formed even before twice daily toothbrushing starts, leading to healthier teeth and gums.

Enhanced protection

Colgate Total toothpaste has more published peer-reviewed clinical studies than any other toothpaste, including unique evidence on the antibacterial protection provided to 100% of the mouth surfaces.

Published papers have demonstrated the superior efficacy of Colgate Total toothpaste versus regular fluoride toothpastes and stannous fluoride toothpastes in reducing the bacteria load on various oral surfaces after toothbrushing.

The unique antimicrobial effect of Colgate Total toothpaste leaves less bacteria in the whole mouth*, to repopulate and form dental plaque on tooth surfaces.

The potential clinical benefits of whole mouth bacteria reduction are also highlighted in the latest review by the Cochrane Collaboration group on the effect of triclosan/copolymer containing fluoride toothpaste versus fluoride only toothpastes.

These independent results provide confidence in the incremental benefit to be gained by having your patients switch to Colgate Total toothpaste.

Just by asking your patients to switch their daily toothpaste, they can benefit from 12-hour antibacterial protection on 100% of mouth surfaces for whole mouth health (Riley and Lamont, 2013).#

Protect the future of your patients’ oral health by recommending Colgate Total toothpaste.


Riley P and Lamont T (2013) Triclosan/copolymer containing toothpastes for oral health. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 5(12)

# Defined as teeth, tongue, cheeks and gums

* In addition to fluoride for cavity protection, Colgate Total provides 12-hour antibacterial protection for teeth, tongue, cheeks and gums

Get the most out of your membership by subscribing to Dentistry CPD
  • Access 600+ hours of verified CPD courses
  • Includes all GDC recommended topics
  • Powerful CPD tracking tools included
Register for webinar
Add to calendar