Rise in the number of dental complaints defended successfully

dental complaints
The DDU’s latest figures show a rise in the number of dental complaints and claims being defended successfully

No compensation is paid in just under 60% of dental complaints and claims, according to the latest figures from the DDU.

The Medical Defence Union Annual Report for 2015 report claims the Dental Defence Union (DDU) is defending more negligence claims successfully in 2015, despite the current adversarial climate.

In 2015, we only paid compensation in just over 40% of dental claims, successfully defending the remaining almost 60%,’ John Makin, head of the DDU, said.

‘This is a good result, given that claimants’ solicitors carefully select the cases they believe are more likely to succeed.

‘However, unmeritorious claims still take their toll on members and there is a considerable cost to the DDU in investigating and responding to so many of them.

‘Claims and complaints may be common, but it would be wrong to conclude that this represents a deterioration in standards of care.

‘The climate in which dental professionals work can often seem difficult, but professional standards are very high and our members continue to provide excellent care to the communities they serve.’

Become a Dentistry Online member

Become a member
Register for webinar
"Company" would like to send you relevant email communications to this webinar, by opting in to receive these emails you are agreeing to be sent email communications by "Company".
You can opt-out at any time.
Add to calendar