Key opinion leaders reach consensus on periodontal health
In April 2015, a group of key opinion leaders met with a team from Johnson & Johnson at a National Advisory Panel event in Dublin to advise on the topic of Improving the periodontal health of Irish population – prevention and treatment.
At the meeting, the key opinion leaders agreed on the following periodontal health consensus statement:
- ‘Effective plaque and calculus removal is key to oral health;
- Dental healthcare professionals have a responsibility to educate patients on their disease status and to direct patients appropriately;
- Patients should receive tailored oral hygiene instruction and demonstration;
- Patients have a responsibility to act upon the advice given by dental healthcare professionals;
- For effective management optimal patient home care and professional debridement are both essential;
- Long-term periodontal maintenance with continuity of care is critical for successful treatment outcome;
- Clinically proven mouthwashes, gels and pastes should be considered for recommendation to those individuals who are not achieving optimal levels of plaque control in their home care routine.’
Key opinion leaders
The key opinion leaders taking part were Professor Finbarr Allen, Professor of prosthodontics and oral rehabilitation at University College Cork, Professor Noel Claffey, Professor of periodontology at Dublin School of Dental Science; Professor Anthony Roberts, Professor of restorative dentistry (periodontology) at Cork University Dental School and Hospital; Dr Rory Maguire, principal of Clarendon Periodontics and Implant Dentistry in Dublin; Dr Mark Condon, principal of the Leeson Dental Clinic in Dublin, specialising in restorative (prosthodontics) and implant dentistry and Ms Louise Fleming RDH, president of the Irish Dental Hygienists Association.
Johnson & Johnson looks forward to using this consensus statement as it continues to work in partnership with dental professionals alongside the Advanced Defence range.
For further information, please contact Johnson & Johnson on 1800 220044.