Educating for the future
Biohorizons introduces its range of dental implant courses.
The implant industry is, arguably, moving faster than any other area of dentistry with the development of new technologies and the advancement of digitisation.
More and more products are coming to the market with a fully digital workflow, removing the need for traditional dental impressions and instead turning towards intraoral scanning.
Prosthetics no longer need to be designed on a model when precise images can be generated and manipulated on a computer thanks to CAD/CAM technologies.
As implant dentistry continues to advance, it can be easy for dental professionals to feel left behind or out of the loop.
Suppliers of implants that bring new developments to market have a responsibility to the dental community to keep them informed, and to provide opportunities for dentists and their teams to learn and to feed back on the latest changes.
This two-way communication fosters further advancement with new technologies, and can bring about improvements to care, product design and surgical techniques.
Since the start of the year, with the introduction of enhanced continuous professional development (ECPD) for dentists, opportunities to develop knowledge of the dental industry and earn the right number of verifiable ECPD hours have become even more attractive.
By August 2018, the rules will be extended to all other registered dental professionals; the demand for places on courses and at educational events is therefore likely to grow, and dental companies need to be providing support in this increasingly important area.
Biohorizons is one company that has always taken its role as educator very seriously, hosting its own events and symposia, and lending its support to hundreds of other quality educational programmes.
Having built its reputation on the development of evidence-based technology and scientifically-researched and proven products, the team at Biohorizons feels it is crucial to offer an innovative and comprehensive education programme on a wide range of subjects for dental professionals around the world, throughout the year.
Gemma Thompson, education manager, says: ‘At Biohorizons, we work with a number of educational partners and we run our own independent courses and symposia.
‘We feel that, with this two-fold approach, we can address a range of educational needs in the implant market.
‘We listen to our clients, we do a lot of our own market research and we run courses based on the feedback that we get.
‘We take a flexible approach to education and this means that we can put on courses according to our clients’ needs and through a range of media that are appropriate to them, for example face-to-face or online.’
This year’s events
The 2018 educational calendar is filling up and includes:
- The four-part Implant Restorative Modular Course, with starting dates both in the summer and autumn, and to be held in Liverpool, is designed to develop the restorative skills of the modern dentist. Over the duration of the course delegates will increase their knowledge and understanding of managing single to full-arch restorations, whilst develop their skills through interactive hands-on workshops and live surgical demonstrations
- The one-day Implant Workshop for Dental Nurses has three scheduled dates – 21 April in Dublin, 16 June in London and 13 October in Glasgow. The ideal introductory and refresher course for implant nursing, this event aims to increase delegate knowledge and confidence in implant dentistry through a series of interactive presentations and workshops throughout the day
- The David Guy Implant Year Course, starting in May and located in Cardiff, aims to provide high quality practical and theoretical teaching to give dentists the skills and confidence to provide implant treatment independently in general practice. After the course ongoing mentoring is provided on planning and treatment of more complex cases
- The Camlog Accreditation Course for Dental Technicians to be held in Yorkshire on 2 June has been designed for the dental technician to study the user-friendly, prosthetically-driven Conelog Implant System. Delegates will learn the versatility of this system through hands-on workshops and will also explore the compatibility of the system for digital dentistry (CAD/CAM workflows and software). Upon completion of the course, each delegate will receive an ‘accreditation pack’, which will enable the technician to showcase attendance of training and that the laboratory is officially accredited to work with the Conelog Implant system
- The Boyne Dental Implant Year Course 2018, to be held in Ireland and starting in September, aims to train the dentist in clinical implants and equip the delegates with the key skills needed to integrate implants successfully as a treatment option into the practice. With dedicated auxiliary team sessions your dental team can also learn how to incorporate dental implants into the practice successfully
- The one-day Latest Concepts in Implant Maintenance course, on the 9 June in Yorkshire and 13 October in London, is designed to encourage a partnership approach between dental professionals. Delegates will be encouraged to develop their clinical knowledge and assessment skills and learn how to identify potential problems through surveillance of soft tissue.
Biohorizons will also be supporting its education partners in providing a full programme of treatment co-ordinator courses, laboratory accreditation courses, implant workshops for dental nurses, implant maintenance courses for hygienists, restorative modular courses, implant year courses, guided surgery courses with Digital Dental Academy and further immediate-loading courses, throughout the year.
Restorative, surgical and team courses have been designed for those new to implant dentistry as well as those looking for a refresher or more advanced techniques.
With courses for the whole dental implant workflow team, Biohorizons is sure to have the course for your practice!
For more information on dental education events from Biohorizons, please visit www.theimplanthub.com/education.