FGDP(UK) announces its plans for 2017/18
The FGDP(UK) has announced its plans for 2017/18, after it decided to become an independent organisation earlier this year.
The new plans have been developed to help prepare the organisation for independence and looks to improve the faculty’s membership offering.
‘This year marks our 25th anniversary as the academic home for primary dental care, and our plans for the coming year will significantly strengthen our community of practice,’ FGDP(UK) dean, Dr Mick Horton, said.
‘We look forward to working ever more closely with our members and the wider dental community, and would be delighted to have your support as we prepare to bring an independent national professional body for dentists to life.’
FGDP’s plans for 2017/18
The Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK) changes include:
Enhancing FGDP(UK)’s offer in education
- Build a career pathway for the profession – by securing the MJDF as the specialist award in dentistry and building components of a pathway that bridges membership and fellowship
- Develop technology-enhanced learning – with a modern and accessible virtual learning environment that will be implemented in 2017 for the benefit of all our course participants and members
- Diversify contribution to CPD – develop an accreditation scheme to improve quality and foster progression.
Foster a thriving membership
- Build a membership proposition – with a focus on value for money and helping members to feel connected
- Engage with dental schools – to establish a role for the faculty from the earliest stages of training
- Transform the FGDP(UK)’s presence online – with a new website, integrated with up-to-date services for members.
Building influence in the affairs of the profession
- Setting standards for the profession through a programme of work on clinical standards that includes revising Standards in Dentistry and publishing new guidance on dementia-friendly dentistry
- Fostering a community of practice in which our members can contribute more effectively to our core mission of promoting excellence in dentistry
- Providing thought leadership that asserts our national role and promotes the standing of the profession in society.