Dentistry the most-read dental title in UK, says BDIA readership survey
The results from the British Dental Industry Association’s readership survey have come in – and they make excellent reading for Dentistry magazine.
Dentistry, now in its 23rd year of publication, came out with the most prized accolade of ‘highest most recently read title’ in the survey published last week. This is the first time in its history that Dentistry has taken top spot in this crucial readership area, just pipping the British Dental Journal (BDJ) and well ahead of such titles as The Dentist and The Probe.
The survey revealed that Dentistry magazine is the major go-to source for the latest news, with more respondents (64%) claiming to have read it recently than any other publication.
That level of interest in the latest issue seems to be the norm too, with most dentists (59%) saying they consistently read the magazine (either ‘sometimes’ or ‘regularly’).
In this context, it’s not surprising to discover that most dentists read dental publications to keep on top of dental news, and to read clinical or scientific articles – both of which Dentistry sets out to provide. Accordingly, the magazine’s profile within the profession also received a resounding bill of good health, with 88% of dentists saying they were aware of it.
Elsewhere, the results make reassuring reading for the state of dental publishing as a whole.
Dentists almost universally acknowledged the role of dental publications as an essential way of keeping up-to-date with what’s going on in the profession. And around 91% of dentists follow a similar approach to doing this – generally by picking up a copy and flicking through until something catches their eye.
The overall discovery – that 84% actively enjoy reading dental magazines, and do so to pick up the latest information on new techniques – sends a clear message that, despite the development of digital and social media, traditional dental media is still providing a clear benefit to its audience.
- Dentistry has the highest ‘recent issue readership’ in UK dental media, beating every other title
- 88% of dentists are aware of Dentistry magazine
- Dentistry is the go-to source for product information, with more people trusting our coverage over other titles. It also scores highly as a trusted source for dental news and business articles
- Almost all respondents agree that dental publications provide an essential means of keeping abreast of what’s going on in dentistry
- 91% tend to flick through dental publications to find interesting articles
- 84% enjoy reading dental publications and do so to gain information on new techniques
- 73% use dental publications to read about dental supplies and products.