Westminster debates new dental contract
Professor Jimmy Steele, the BDA’s Susie Sanderson and John Milne and deputy chief dental officer Susie Sanderson will be among the dental leaders at a debate next month to discuss the new NHS dental contract.
The Westminster health forum keynote seminar, The future of dentistry – taking forward system reform and moving towards a new dental contract will be staged on 16 November at the
Harvey Goodwin Suite, Church House Conference Centre, Dean’s Yard, Westminster, London SW1P 3NZ.
This event is CPD certified and will focus on the future of dentistry, including system reform and prospects for the new dental contract.
The discussion aims to reflect plans for dentistry in the coalition government’s White Paper Equity and excellence: Liberating the NHS.
The seminar follows the announcement that, following consultation and piloting, a new dental contract will be introduced – focused on achieving good dental health and increasing access to NHS dentistry, with an additional emphasis on the oral health of schoolchildren.
Key discussion points:
• The ongoing work of the Steele Implementation Programme with an appraisal from Professor Jimmy Steele; how work is being tied in with wider dental policy developments and how this will impact on the proposals in the White Paper
• Early assessment of the pilots launched following the publication of the Steele Review, and implications for future policy
• The BDA view on the main challenges ahead for dentistry – from Dr Susie Sanderson
• What more can be done to tackle inequalities in dental care and improve commissioning of services
• The next steps for NHS dentistry – from Dr Sue Gregory.
Sue Gregory, deputy chief dental officer, Department of Health
John Milne, chair, general dental practice committee, BDA
Susie Sanderson, chair of the executive board, BDA
Professor Jimmy Steele, head of school and chair of oral health services research, Newcastle University.
Further confirmed speakers:
Justin Ash, chief executive, Oasis Healthcare
Dr Nigel Carter, chief executive, British Dental Health Foundation
Eileen Lock, regional director for London, Harmoni
Rebecca Owen-Evans, Policy Advisor, Which?
Eric Rooney, consultant, dental public health, Cumbria and Lancashire PCTs
Dr Mike Warburton, national director for Dental and GP Access, Department of Health
Derek Watson, chief executive officer, Dental Practitioners Association
Chairs: Lord Colwyn and Baroness Gardner of Parkes, executive officer, all-party parliamentary group on primary care and public health.
An online booking form is at www.westminsterforumprojects.co.uk/forums/book_event.php?eid=151&mo=DM4.
Options and charges are as follows:
• Places at The future of dentistry – taking forward system reform and moving towards a new dental contract (including refreshments and PDF copy of the transcripts) are £190 plus VAT (£223.25);
• Concessionary rate places for small charities, unfunded individuals and those in similar circumstances are £80 plus VAT (£94).
Please be sure to apply for this at the time of booking.