Earl Howe speaker at dental education awards
The DDU today reveals the names of the six talented dental teachers who will vie for success at the 2010 DDU Educational Awards at the Royal Society, Central London on Wednesday 17 November.
Earl Howe, the parliamentary under secretary of state for quality with ministerial responsibility for dentistry, has agreed to give the key-note address and present the awards at this year’s event.
Rupert Hoppenbrouwers, head of the DDU says: ‘We are delighted that Earl Howe, has agreed to be involved in this way. It’s great for those working in dental education to receive this kind of recognition and we look forward to hearing his views.’
The finalists in each of the two award categories are:
Dental Care Professional Teacher of the Year
· Kathryn Dobson, School of Dentistry, University of Liverpool
· Nikki Rogers, School of Oral and Dental Sciences, University of Bristol
· Jenny Owens, Leeds Dental Institute
Dentist Teacher of the Year
· Damien Walmsley, School of Dentistry, The University of Birmingham
· Stephen J W Lisney, School of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Bristol
· George Aristidou, Kings College London
Rupert adds: ‘The DDU Educational Awards are a great way of demonstrating the respect and regard students have for their dental teachers and this year we received more nominations than ever before.
‘Dental education is very much in the spotlight at the moment, following the publication of the GDC’s Student Fitness to Practise guidance in April 2010 and the recently launched GDC consultation into a new curriculum for dentists and dental care professionals. Dental teachers are largely responsible for putting these developments into practice and ensuring they are a success, so we believe it is important to reward their hard work and dedication.’
The DDU Educational Awards 2010 have two categories: Dentist Teacher of the Year (dental schools and foundation schemes) and Dental Care Professional (DCP) Teacher of the Year. Each finalist will be asked to give a presentation, including answering questions from the judging panel and audience, which will be judged across a number of criteria, including knowledge of the subject and the ability to motivate others.
All finalists will be awarded £250 each and the winners in each category will receive an additional £1,000 towards the cost of educational materials for their schools or VT scheme.
Dentsply is the main sponsor of the DDU Educational Awards, and the initiative is supported by the British Dental Association.
Shortlisted nominees for Dental Care Professional Teacher of the Year 2010
· Kathryn Dobson, School of Dentistry, University of Liverpool (finalist)
· Nikki Rogers, School of Oral and Dental Sciences, University of Bristol (finalist)
· Jenny Owen, Leeds Dental Institute (finalist)
· Sarah Redwood, St Bart’s and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry
· Isabelle Cunningham, Cardiff University Dental School
· Coralie Frances, Eastman Dental Hospital
· Sarah Balian, Guy’s King’s and St Thomas’ School of Dentistry
· Rosemarie Khan, Greater Manchester School for Dental Care Professionals
· Judy Fraser, University of Portsmouth School of Professionals Complementary to Dentistry
· Martin Parsons, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield
Shortlisted finalists for Dentist Teacher of the Year 2010
· Damien Walmsley, School of Dentistry, The University of Birmingham (finalist)
· Stephen Lisney, School of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Bristol (finalist)
· George Aristidou, Kings College London (finalist)
· Phil Taylor, St Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry
· Jenny Good, The Queen’s University of Belfast Dental School
· Mohammad Nekoofar, Cardiff University Dental School
· John Radford, University of Dundee Dental Hospital
· Susan Cunningham, Eastman Dental Hospital
· Joe Lang, University of Glasgow Dental School
· Paul Franklin, Leeds Dental Institute
· Andrew Carragher, University of Liverpool School of Dentistry
· Richard Oliver, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester
· Mark Greenwood, School of Dental Sciences, University of Newcastle
· Sarah Duffy, Peninsula Dental School
· Martin Atkinson, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield
· Andrew Ginty, University of Central Lancashire School of Dentistry