Who does what in dentistry? – GDC consultation ends Friday
The GDC’s consultation with dental professionals on the scope of practice of the dental team ends this Friday (9 May) at 5pm.
The aim of this consultation is to clarify for patients and members of the dental team, what different dental professionals are, or are not, allowed to do.
The consultation outlines the skills that dentists and other dental care professionals should have at the point of qualification as well as suggesting additional skills that each group could go on to achieve during their career.
The GDC is asking for views on the skills that:
• each registrant group should have at the point of qualification
• each registrant group may develop throughout their career
• should be ‘reserved’ to particular registrant groups.
Issues around the registration of dental technicians and dental nurses are also explored.
Views are sought on questions such as:
• the definition of ‘in training’ for dental technicians and dental nurses; and
• who can do what in an emergency?
This is an opportunity to have your say on what you think about our proposals on the scope of practice of all GDC registrants.
Responses can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to: Stephanie Lenn, Standards Policy Officer, General Dental Council, 2nd Floor, 44 Baker Street, London W1U 7BE.